Old-Time Boston/New England Radio and Television Ad Jingles and Slogans

I love jingles. To be specific, I especially have an affinity for the old-time radio and television jingles that could be heard during the 1960s and 1970s.  The sometimes cheesy singers, the memorable hooks and a lack of the in-your-face, bombastic ad jingles of today made for some very effective advertising. I know most of these ads brought us to the given businesses, including restaurants, amusement parks, department and furniture stores and even car dealerships.  Here are some warm Boston memories of local television and radio ad jingles and slogans from yesteryear:

Do you remember...
Bradlee's department store with the ad singers stating that chipper, know-it-all inventory manager "Mrs. B is Buying?"

The 1960s-style "In Crowd" swing-like jingle of Dave Dinger Ford in Braintree, Mass., asking "How does Dinger do it?"

The Thompson's Clam Bar (Harwichport, Mass.) jingle, "We're going to Thompson's Clam Bar 'cause that's where the very best clams are!"

The faint and anemic-sounding,  semi-muted tropical-like jingle for the Island Queen (the ferry from Falmouth to Martha's Vineyard)?

Whalom Park (now-closed amusement park in Lunenberg, Mass.) for "A whale of a time?"

The Filene's department store jingle that spelled out "F-I-L-E-N-E-S?"

Barbo's Furniture (Burlington, Mass.), a classic car radio ad jingle, with the memorable easy-listening sung line, "Barbo's, Barbo's.. the furniture you can live with happily ever after?"

Christo's Greek-American restaurant in Brockton, Mass., with its "Home of the Greek salad king" slogan (still is, to this very day!)?

And, of course, the over-the-top "There's a Lot to Like About Lowell" jingle, extolling the incredible virtues of that Massachusetts city?

Please feel free to share your memories of Boston/New England ad jingles by posting a comment here!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't notice the date of your post. Of all the ones that you mentioned the only one I remember is Dave dinger. According to the song in my brain Dave dinger is in Braintree. Everything we need to memorize should be in jingles. I'm actually looking for the Purity Supreme jingle. It's not in anything obvious on YouTube. And yet I heard it somewhere one day and I was singing it for a friend who didn't remember it but she finished singing it with me. I can't find it now. I have no idea where I heard it when I sang it which was after 2001.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts