Fontaine's in West Roxbury and the Neon Waving Chicken Sign

I don't know what I liked better, the family-style chicken dishes at Fontaine's in West Roxbury or the neon waving chicken on the sign out front.

If it came down to one or the other, I'd probably go with the sign. Fontaine's certainly served up some excellent chicken, but how many restaurants had that kind of sign?  Every time I drove by that crazy-looking chicken, it brought a smile. I might have driven that way a few more times than necessary just to see that sign.

Again, nothing against the restaurant inside -- what a happy place with all those long-time, old school Boston waitresses taking care of customers in a retro carpeted dining room like they were family. It's just that I really liked that chicken sign!

What a shame Fontaine's closed down after more than 50 years in business and just as sad that the spastic waving chicken no longer graces our drives down Route 1 towards Boston. I cry "fowl" that they went out of business!


1 comment:

  1. That sign lives on! There was a neon are exhibition on the Greenway a couple of years back. Lo and behold, what do I see there? The waiving chicken Fontaine's sign!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts