Bickford's Pancake House: Why Did It Go Away?

Bickford's Pancake House never should have gone away.

For a chain, Bickford's felt more like a standalone locally-owned restaurant. I certainly liked Bickford's a lot better than Denny's in Lexington and the International House of Pancakes in Cambridge and Watertown. Bickford's served big breakfasts, huge and cheap, and rarely screwed up the orders. The carpeting was nice, the lighting just right and the space between tables and booths not too cramped. The Woburn location was usually the go-to Bickford's for me.

Bickford's had a great run in New England from the 1970s to, I think, the early 2000s. It was one of the few chain restaurants I actually liked. The whole experience always seemed like a big family outing. Bickford's wasn't one of those places where those going out to eat seemed miserable in a down-and-out kind of way and uncommunicative with loved ones.

A few weeks ago, I drove past Bickford's Grille in Woburn. I'm curious to try it out although I know the vibe won't be the same as Bickford's Pancake House.

Has anyone been to Bickford's Grille? Do you have any special memories of Bickford's Pancake House? Please comment in the box below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts