Discoing Back to the Chateau De Ville in Saugus, Framingham and Randolph, Mass.

Does anyone remember the oversized grand ballroom with a huge chandelier and curved staircase at the Chateau de Ville -- a place where people loved to "disco" and later tell either totally fake or completely true stories of their miserable high school proms?

I seem to remember a Kiss-108 presence at the Saugus location with the late, great Sunny Jo White and Disco Vinny Peruzzi. I think the Cheatau de Ville eventually changed its name to The Palace -- which it wasn't -- some time in the 1990s before closing in 2004.

Yes, many people loved the Chateau de Ville but it just wasn't for me. At an age when "Saturday Night Fever" and "Funkytown" ruled, I preferred good conversation in small groups, long walks on the beach and listening to David Gates and Bread. I also liked eating Wonder Bread while watching "Perry Mason."

I always wondered if "Chateau de Ville" was French for "Unbearable experience in a nightclub." It just wasn't my scene. "Clubbing" to me, was watching episodes of the Flintstones that featured that secret club called "the Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes" where the "Grand Poobah" ruled.

Ultimately, my favorite part of the Chateau DeVille experience was going out for old school Chinese food afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts